"Automatic numbering in CSS2 is controlled with two properties,
'counter-increment' and 'counter-reset'"
http://archivist.incutio.com/viewlist/css-discuss/57830
Like a lot others properties, compatibility is broken in a lot of browsers.
If you dont get it, let me know.Regards,

Raphael Pereira de Faria
UNIFEI - </war>