From: Gunlaug Sørtun <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

>Scott Sauyet wrote:
>> http://scott.sauyet.com/issues/2008-03-04a/
>
>> In IE7, IE6, and IE5.5, all on XP, I'm seeing something bizarre.
>
>> When you hover onto or off of the top menu item, the text box and
>> button move down the page.  They keep doing this; it's not a one-time
>>  behavior.  In IE7 they will go on indefinitely.  In IE6 and IE5.5,
>> they eventually disappear when they fall off the real estate owned by
>>  the menu.
>
>> Has anyone seen this behavior?  Any suggestions for how to get rid of
>>  it?
>
>Alternative solution (in case one is ever needed)...
><http://www.gunlaug.no/tos/alien/scs/test_08_0305.html>
>...based on the effect well-placed 'hasLayout' triggers have on elements
>in IE/win. Otherwise no changes from the original.
>It's perfectly stable in IE6/7, but I can't check in IE5/5.5

Checking Scott's original in IE5.01, I note that it did not have the problem
that IE5.5 and up had.

I can confirm that the problem is fixed in IE5.5 with your solution, Georg, and
does no harm in IE5.01 (actually tightens up the display as it does in IE6).

Display in the IE5s is also improved by the addition of

#main-menu li, #main-menu .menu-group {
margin-left: -16px; /* fix for IE5s */
ma\rgin-left: 0; /* resets it for other browsers */
}

(or these can be placed in the respective selectors already in existence)

~holly