On Thu, Mar 6, 2008 at 7:14 PM, Scott Sauyet <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Thomas Francis wrote:
> > Can anybody figure out why the quote on this page overlaps the footer
> near
> > the bottom right-hand side?
> > http://www.bris.ac.uk/news/2008/12017945171.html
> >
> > It's obviously not meant to do this and doesn't occur when the screen is
> > really wide.
>
> Are you sure?  It only happens for me when the screen is wide enough.

Apologies, my mistake, you are correct.

> The reason is that the right-hand column (id:" news-pic-quote-column")
> is absolutely positioned.  That means that it is removed from the
> document flow.  The "clear: both" on the footer doesn't apply to it.
>
> I'm not sure of the best solution, and don't have time to investigate
> the whole layout, but you might want to look at some floating solutions.

Ok, thanks, that does seem to make sense (to me as an amateur CSS
enthusiast!)

I should have pointed out that the site belongs to my old university and I
tend to use it quite a lot. And because I like to dabble in css/web design,
I thought this was an unusual and interesting problem.

Thanks for all replies.

Thom

--
Regards