I tried to post this a few days ago, although I've changed some of the
CSS a bit since then, anyway.
I'm pretty new to CSS. I'm rebuilding a page done years ago in tables
and Javascript using CSS. I'm having serious issues with background
images. I tried using some more divs, and it didn't turn out well.

This is the original page, so you get an idea of how it should look:
<http://www.swedenborg.org/local.cfm>

This is the template I'm working on:
<http://neptune.he.net/~swdnbrg/cow/re/local.html>

And the CSS file:
<http://neptune.he.net/~swdnbrg/cow/re/global.css>

The cross on the far right side gets cropped on all browsers, and I'm
not sure how to fix it--when I was shifting things around before and
couldn't get the bars to line up right, the cross actually displayed
fine. In IE 7, the pink bar under the nav links has no space. In Opera
and Safari, the cross on the far right is also a little too close to
the pink bar, although I can live with that if the fix would bring
down the look in IE or Firefox (Flock seems to be displaying
identically to Firefox).

My other concern is that the bars will wind up intersecting the text
if the text is resized. The only solutions I can think of are: sizing
the text in pixels instead for the nav bar and hoping nobody outside
of IE users tries to resize it or making the lines way longer and sort
of silly looking and over-large with the normal-sized text. I don't
suppose there's some nice way around this that I don't know about as a
newbie?

Any help is much appreciated.

--Renee