Hello;

First post here...

I am having trouble with setting up a container properly...it works
for the most part. I need for the background colors contained by it
to extend as wide as the browser window is — I know some folks have
those nice 30-inchers! — and that seems to be working with the code
that I've written, but when you make the browser window very narrow,
it "breaks" in that you can scroll the page tot he right and see the
background colors end, and it looks sloppy.

Chances are the average person isn't going to do this, but they MIGHT
do it and at any rate I'd like to make the little beasty behave right.

I've been playing with this:

#container {
height:150px;
width:100%;
background:rgb(173,173,173);
}

150px is the height of the jpg which is part of the area to be
contained (containered?) and I assume 100% means 100% of the browser
window, however wide or narrow a person has it on their computer.

Another related thing to this, as I'm pretty green at coding, is how
things affect each other, and I'm just not experienced enough to know
this. Mainly, I take code from elsewhere which works, and put that
into my style sheets. Mostly it works. Sometimes, as this instance
shows, it doesn't.

Thanks for taking a look/helping me out and sharing any advice..

John