Renée Hellenbrecht wrote:

> Georg very nicely helped me fix the issues I was having with the bars
> displaying on the top of this page. However, I haven't been able to
> quite mimic the results for the bars on the bottom. Being a CSS
> newbie, I can't quite make out how to fix this. I suspect it has
> something to do with the top bars involving three elements within a
> single div and the bottom involving three elements in two separate
> divs (which I would prefer not to combine): #footer #footer_church and
> #footer #footer_swedenborg.
[...]
> The HTML: <http://neptune.he.net/~swdnbrg/cow/re/template.html>
> The CSS involved: <http://neptune.he.net/~swdnbrg/cow/re/global00.css>
>
> --
> --Renée Hellenbrecht

One word Renee....... hasLayout [1]. Your page look fine in IE8 since this
browser doesn't use hasLayout for layout. For IE7 or IE6 the problem is this.

#footer #footer_church {
        float: left; /* hasLayout trigger */
}

This causes the bottom margin on the paragraph within with the text "The
Swedenborgian Church of North America" to disappear [2]. Paste this into your
style sheet and test.

*+html/*/* /**/ #footer #footer_church p { /* target IE7 and filter IE8 */
        margin-bottom: 20px;
}
* html #footer #footer_church p { /* hack for IE6 */
        margin-bottom: 20px;
}

Welcome to the world of Internet Explorer. :-)

[1] <http://www.satzansatz.de/cssd/onhavinglayout.html>
[2] <http://css-class.com/test/css/box/margins/iehaslayoutmarginswithfloats.htm>

Alan

http://css-class.com/test/bugs/ie/ie-bugs.htm