At 05:51 AM 18/03/2008, Laura wrote:
>Hello....
>
>Thank you again for all your help on my last question. Now I'm
>struggling with this....
>
>I want the site to have the top margin and left side as the
>"constant" and the rest to be variable. I really don't want to
>clone this page for the rest of the pages for the site. How does
>one go about making part of the CSS variable while leaving the
>header and side panel code the same without copying it to each
>page in the site?  The other thing I need to do with the site is
>add a log in page which will also be on the left side, I don't
>think that would affect the style sheets though.
>
>My site is http://www.returnengagement.org
>
>Thanks for any insight. Much appreciated!

Hi Laura,

I think if I understand the question what you're looking for is
'server side includes'.

We do this with PHP includes, and refer to them as components... when
developing sites with hundreds of pages or even a few this is how we
always develop a website.

So the CSS refers of course to your div and then in the html it will
look something like this:

<!-- start navigation -->
<?php
require("$_SERVER[DOCUMENT_ROOT]/includes/navigation.php");
?>
<!-- end navigation -->

or Dreamweaver can add it like this:

Doing with dreamweaver you need to save your pages as .shtml and the
includes as .shtm

The include doesn't have any head, body, etc - just the html for that piece.

As we build our own CMS customised for each client this works really
well doing everything as a component, then one change... changes all pages.

Hope I was on track... I get more help than I can ever give to this
list so hopefully I've been able to help for a change :-)

Regards

Vicki