  From: Gunlaug Sørtun
  To: Alan K Baker
  Cc: css-d
  Sent: Saturday, April 05, 2008 9:00 AM
  Subject: Re: [css-d] Anchor tags

  Make it:

  #selectable, #selectable a  {
  position: absolute;
  bottom: 0;
  left: 0;
  height: 10000px;
  width: 100%;
  background-image: url(trans1px.htm);
  z-index: 1;
  }

  ...and the whole page will be covered by a working anchor in all
  browsers - I think (didn't test in IE7).

  The problem is how browsers calculate height in percentage - different
  and depending on case, and there's not much to gain from battling their
  differences for a case like this.
  The easiest solution is to *not* use percentage for height but instead
  make make the element/anchor *too tall*. The overshooting part
  disappears above the screen where it won't be noticed and has no effect
  on anything.

  This method is demonstrated/tested to the extreme here...
  <http://www.gunlaug.no/contents/wd_chaos_07.html>
  ...and we don't have to go to the extremes for the size of today's and
  tomorrow's screens and browser-windows.

  regards
  Georg