You're right, I did misunderstand the issue. Found one when where there were
two! <g>

As Alan says, add the background to the anchor like:

table.styledTable thead th a,
table.styledTable thead th a:link,
table.styledTable thead th a:visited,
table.styledTable thead th a:hover {

 background: transparent url(bg.gif) center right no-repeat;

 color: #990000;
 display: block;
 text-decoration: none;
 height: 100%;
 width: auto;
 padding-right: 15px;
}

You can see it working at: www.webbwize.co.uk/Test_Area/tabletest.html

Grab the code if you wish, after all, it is your code. I'll leave it there for
today.

BTW I only mentioned the transparency issues because you aksed about them in
the first place. :-)

Regards,

Alan.

www.theatreorgans.co.uk
www.virtualtheatreorgans.com
Admin: ConnArtistes, UKShopsmiths, 2nd Touch & A-P groups
Shopsmith 520 + bits
Flatulus Antiquitus