Good evening Gunlaug,
It was foretold that on 05/04/2008 @ 01:14:39 GMT+0200 (which was
20:14:39 where I live) Gunlaug Sørtun would write:

<snipped a bit>

> Making sense was not my intention, I assure you ;-)

Maybe not, but still you always manage to do that ;-)

> Don't know where your head is ( ;-) ), but no class is needed and
> messing around won't help either. What you need is an additional
> dimension and a close look at the W3C box-model.
> By declaring a suitable width on the anchor and manipulating the size of
> its side-paddings, you can create the appearance I think you're after.
> Paddings are added to dimensions in the W3C box-model.

"paddings are added ro dimensions" ... magical words!!! Clears
everything up and ... found my head again :-).

I'm still amazed how one can forget the basics of the most important
thing of CSS: the box model. In the beginning you study the model as
if your life depends on it ... and when it needs to kick in... you're
out of gas ... you have no idea how ashamed i am lol.

> Take a look at my example...
> <http://www.gunlaug.no/tos/alien/luc/test_08_0404.html>
> ...and see if my chosen values are close enough for comfort. If not,
> then minor changes should bring the appearance within range.

Perfect!!!

> Remember that the background-image on the li has fixed dimensions and is
> only set to repeat vertically. This makes the styling easy.

once again.... makes sense :-)

> Without that fixed image-dimension we would have to fix the width of the
> li itself and make the anchor overflow it horizontally. That's also easy
> in most browsers, but IE6 would put up a fight (auto-expand) and demand
> a semi-removed floating anchor (negative back-side margin) in order to
> cooperate. I just mention this in case the need for such a change should
> come up - for you or someone else.

Duly noted !!!!!!!

--
Best regards,
 Luc

Using the best e-mail client: The Bat! version 4.0.18 with Windows XP
(build 2600), version 5.1 Service Pack 2 and using the best browser:
Opera.

"The favourite game in Austria is Mikado. The one who moves something
first, loses".