I wrote

> On Apr 23, 2008, at 3:03 PM, Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
>
>>> In a perfect world, 'Arial Black' shouldn't get bolded, as it
>>> already
>>> is a bold face with "weight=900".
>>
>> That would be the natural interpretation, but then "Arial Black"
>> should
>> not be a font-family value at all, just a particular font with
>> font-family: Arial and font-weight: 900. However, many browsers
>> probably
>> treat it as a font family of its own.
>
> On OS X, 'Arial Black' is a _font-family_ with only one _face_ (with a
> font-weight:900).
> 'Arial' is a font-family with four faces : Regular, Italic, Bold and
> Bold Italic (font-weight 400 and 700 resp).
>
> On Windows, it might be a particular _face_ within the Arial font-
> family. I'm not close to the Windoze box to go checking.

Forgot to add a part:

If it is a specific _face_ within a fon-tfamily, it shouldn't get
bolded, as it alrady is a bold face.

If it is a font-family, It could be argued that the browser might call
its synthetic bolding algo's, but in this case, it shouldn't as the
font-data already informs the browser that it is a bold face.

Which is partly an answer to Jukka's:

> Whether it's strictly a bug is a matter of definition. If "Arial
> Black"
> is taken as a font family of its own, with only one true weight
> available, then it might arguably be acceptable to generated other
> weights true algorithmic transformations. Actually that's what IE does
> with Arial Unicode MS, for example; if specify font-weight: bold for
> it,
> IE will produce something bold, even though Arial Unicode MS has only
> one weight available. This is comparable to "fake italics".

If no bold is available, that is perfectly acceptable. Gecko, Opera
and WebKit do the same.

Philippe
---
Philippe Wittenbergh