On Tue, May 6, 2008 at 12:09 PM, Someone wrote:

> Granted that you may have a client that insists (probably against your
> better judgement) that they want a pseudo 'float:center', but why do you
> want to do it?
>
> Look at any newspaper or magazine and the text is always one side of an
> image or the other, and top and bottom, but never both sides. It makes the
> text extremely difficult to follow, unless the reader has a ruler or the
> text is set on visible horizontal lines.
>
> IMO (Certainly in the Western World) text is read from top to bottom, left
> to right in a more or less continuous flow. Even with left or right 'chunks'
> occupied by images etc, the flow is maintained.
>
> As an exercise in formatting it could be fun I guess. :-)
>
> My 2c............

The problem is that I'm not doing documents, I'm doing applications
and unfortunately it seems CSS' layout capability is tailored to
creating documents with text elements that "flow" and "float" and so
on. Web applications are commonly collections of UI elements organized
into tables (e.g. forms). If it were up to me I would just use a
tables (at least one maybe as a layout "backbone"). But unfortunately
I can't because currently the community perception is that anyone
using tables for layouts is ignorant and that could affect the
marketability of a product that doesn't follow approved practices.

This doesn't really apply to the "float: center" effort but I'm a
little annoyed by the customary "why do you want to do that?"
response. Not everyone is laying out blogs, wikis and home pages.

Mike