Chris Hardie wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm wondering if someone could point out where in the spec the following
> behaviour is defined. If I use absolute positioning to position an
> element off the left-hand side of the screen, I don't get any scroll bars:

> orange;width:100px;">
>         No scrollbars to see here! Carry on!
>
> However, if I try to position the element off the right-hand side of the
> screen, I get a horizontal scroll bar that allows me to scroll over to
> see the absolutely positioned element:

> orange;width:100px;">
>         Scrollbar alert! Scrollbar alert!
>
> I had presumed that since the element was taken out of document flow,
> the viewport wouldn't be impacted by its placement, but obviously I'm
> missing something
>
> C.

Though it is taken out of the normal flow, it is still painted on the
"canvas" (CSS 2.1: 2.3.1: "the space where the formatting structure is
rendered").

CSS 2.1: 9.1.1: "When the viewport is smaller than the area of the
canvas on which the document is rendered, the user agent should offer a
scrolling mechanism."

regards,

Ingo

--