On Fri, May 16, 2008 at 12:41 AM, jasmin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I'm using the below vertical menu list but unfortunately when a menu item is
> clicked to produce an 'active state', it doesn't remain on when the user
> clicks on other links on the web page.  As soon as you click on any other
> links the 'active menu state' reverts to a 'normal state'. Can anyone
> explain why this happens?

When the user clicks on a link that particular link *is* active, and
when the user clicks on another link then the second link becomes
active, making the first one inactive again.  That is why you can't
have both links showing the active effect you programmed at the same
time.

What you can do is write the same or a very similar effect to the
'active' css that you are using to mark 'visited' links.  However, if
it is the same as the active effect, it can sometimes be confusing to
the viewer in that they think, 'wait a minute.. I just clicked this
link -- why is the other one still 'lit up' or 'darker' or whatever
you tell the CSS to make those active/visited links appear as.    This
can lead to multiple clicking on new links.

I think a better solution is to have either the links go back to their
regular state when a new one is clicked or to have the *visited links*
appear different than either the *unvisited/active* links.

Phoebe
--
Words I have learned to spell from CSS-Discussion list - scissors,
tortoise, hover (not hoover)