I'm looking into some form of replacement for a select box, so that I
have more control over the styling, and I found this example from Aaron
Gustafson.
http://old.easy-designs.net.whsites.net/articles/replaceSelect/.

This seems to give me pretty much what I need, with one problem.  In
IE6, when the list is expanded, it pushes down whatever is below it.  In
Firefox it doesn't do that, although in my application it drops down
behind the other content.  I can't link to my site unfortunately, but
you can see the first problem on Aaron's example page itself -
http://old.easy-designs.net.whsites.net/articles/replaceSelect/files/fin
al.html.

Can anyone suggest what I need to do do get the list to drop down over
the top of any other page content?  Or is there a better alternative
altogether?

Martin.