If you compare how it looks in IE and FF you should see what I mean. Adding
the styles you recommended:

html{height:100%;margin:0;padding:0;}

...fixed the problem at the bottom of the screen, but introduced a new
behaviour at the top. It's hard to explain but basically if I resize the
browser window height (using IE7) the bg image stops moving when that image
reaches the top of the view port.

If I use FF and resize vertically it will continue moving the bg image up
even AFTER the top of the bg image reaches the top of the view port.

I'm not sure if I made any sense or not, but by comparing in the two
browsers you should see what I mean. If this is just how FF behaves then
I'll accept that as an answer and move on...

Thanks,

Matt