Yeh photopost is a photogallery - thought I'd throw that in there not
knowing the extent of his project since it is made to integrate and
has a proven record of heavy usage http://www.photopost.com/
sitesphp.html
I don't have a list handy anymore, but a few years back when I
researched these forums I consistently found them being used on very
heavily trafficked sites. To me that was trial by fire as those sites
most assuredly would not mess around with something that wasn't
working at high usage levels.

For free phpbb does look really darn good, but depending on the
project I lean towards a paid product with paid support to make sure
the job gets done right and on schedule.

I look forward to hearing and seeing a fully css based forum project.

Thanks,
Barrett
AOL/AIM handmadepaperus