Two ideas:

1) a link please so we can see your page, check to see if there are other
issues not apparent in the snippet you provided, etc.  Possibly a path
problem to the image?  Any number of things could be the case when we
essentially can't see what you see.

2) <span> tags are inline elements. You might try "display:block;" on your
span.  Not sure.