On Aug 20, 2008, at 2:57 AM, Bill Brown wrote:

> Aside from the W3C pages, the CSS-D wiki and this list, where do you
> go
> for information about CSS?

> For the more senior members of this list, what would you consider the
> absolute worst practices, and conversely, the best practices?

Coming late to the party…

Resources that haven't been mentioned: the HTML validator (extremely
important to have a valid document/DOM tree to work with) and CSS
validator (syntax checking).

The other resources I use: www-style mailing list and archive, the
specs (!) - and take some time to read the errata to the specs,
developer drafts of upcoming specs.

Under best practices, Georg made a good summary.
- Again, take time to read (and read again and again) the specs.
- Kiss: keep your stylesheets and selectors simple
- Understanding and make use of the cascade

worst practices:
- copy/paste a method/layout/trick/hack/ without taking even the
minimum of time to understand; because someone said it fixed 'it' for
him/her.
- reset.css

> Wow--you read this far down, eh?
> Thanks again!
Why, yes :-)
It looks like a quite extensive seminar. Good luck with it.

> David, thanks for your input. I'd love to chat more, but I'm
> rebuilding
> my entire site so that all the content is created with the Yahoo JS
> Library with a Flash-based interface embedded in a Java applet. ;-)

Lol. Can't wait to see it. On my default browser with Java disabled,
FlashBlock active and Yahoo JS blocked in my host file :-).
Couldn't resist…

Philippe
---
Philippe Wittenbergh