--- On Fri, 9/5/08, Gabriele Romanato <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> during my long experience in CSS testing, I've learned
> a great lesson about web browsers. There are two types of
> browsers: original browsers and clonings.
> [lots more]

Gabriele,

This is dangerously close to being off-topic, but I'm sure the old-timers can
judge this far better than I can! :) So, I'll bite.

Your tone and choice of words ("clonings", "copied and pasted") seems quite
negative - would you prefer to have new incompatibilities to deal with, or
innovation in other areas of the browser, such as UI and feature improvements?

Sharing of rendering engines is perfectly legitimate, in my book, and gives us
web developers/designers further options as to how we test. For example, the
environment I'm currently working in does not allow me to install Safari,
making testing on that browser (and, thus, WebKit) something of a challenge.
Chrome, however, DOES install, so greater numbers of 'clones' lead to a more
favourable situation for cross-browser compatibility.

I agree that, from a "what's implemented, and what do I need to hack"
perspective, Chrome isn't very exciting, and we barely need to discuss it from
a CSS point of view, but that doesn't mean 'clones' should not exist, and it
doesn't make them any less useful.

- Bobby