I have a short line containing some text and two images.  The text is
default height, let's assume that is somewhere around 18px.  Let's
also assume that the two images are both 100px high.  With respect to
one image I have done nothing; so, as expected, it's bottom aligns
with the baseline of the text. With respect to the other, I have set
vertical-align to "middle".  I would expect that the line-box would be
100px high which is the height of the first image.  Therefore, I would
expect that the second image would be centered vertically with respect
to that line-box.  Thus, I would expect that the second image would
wind up with it's bottom aligned with the baseline just like the
first.  Instead, the second image is centered vertically with respect
to the text.  Why is that?  What am I missing?  Thanks for any input.

              ... doug