On Sat, 08 Nov 2008 06:18:47 -1000, Alyda Gilmore wrote:
>> From: Bill Brown <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
[...]
>> As I understand it, Internet Explorer doesn't support XHTML, so even if you
>> specify
>> XHTML in the doctype and even if you made server-side adjustments to
>> _ensure_ that
>> you were sending XHTML to the browser, IE simply won't render it as XHTML,
>> using
>> instead it's own HTML interpretation.
>>
>> I've yet to see the real benefit to using XHTML over well-formed HTML and
>> tend to use
>> this doctype for everything as a consequence: <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC
>> "-//W3C//DTD HTML
>> 4.01//EN"
>> "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd";>
>>
>> It seems to deliver more consistent and predictable results cross-browser.
>>
>> Hope it helps.
>> --Bill
>>
> That's not my understanding at all! I used the following for a number of
> years:

> "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd";>
>
> and recently switched to:
>
> <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1//EN"
> "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/DTD/xhtml11.dtd";>

To bring this on-topic (CSS) note that browsers use a DOCTYPE as
a "mode switch" only. This has most effect in IE, which not only
reverts to the old box model without a DOCTYPE, but does not even
pretend to support CSS 1. Other browsers are less affected, and still
apply full CSS 2+ as far as they are able.[1]

In brief, I don't think HTML vs XHTML DOCTYPE makes much difference
to CSS rendering. Just make sure you use a valid DOCTYPE for IE's sake.

I think David means that Flash is proprietary. He may be saying he cannot
debug a page that includes Flash - nor can I. Sorry.

As far as XHTML vs. HTML issues go:-

As long as your page has a name ending in .html or .htm all browsers
see your code as HTML unless you have done something strange on your
server. If you change the filename extension to .xhtml browsers will
try to treat it as XHTML. This is true for pages viewed locally, and
true on many, but not all servers.

XHTML 1.1 is *only* intended to be used as XHTML. I suggest you
not use this for pages seen as HTML - although it does not matter
much, since XHTML is designed to be interpreted as HTML as well
as XHTML. Fortunately, since that's what a majority of pages are doing.

Bottom line - use a valid DOCTYPE for IE and for the validator.
When the validator recognizes the HTML 5 DOCTYPE, you can use
that one instead, as it does the "mode switch" in all browsers, as
far as I can tell:

  <!DOCTYPE html>

[1] <http://www.gunlaug.no/contents/wd_additions_34.html>

Cordially,