bj wrote:

> <!-- BEGIN: body -->
>
> My question is-- will this throw IE8 into quirks? I know that
> anything before the doctype does it to IE7.

Yes, it seems that a comment before the doctype puts IE 8 beta 2 in quiks
mode.

> Secondly, what exactly IS IE8 quirks? Is it throwing it back
> to IE5  rendering, so I can just style for all IEs the same?

IE8 quirks should be the same as IE7 quirks. As far as CSS is concerned I
haven't noticed any differences.

> Third-- How is IE8 reading (or not) conditional comments?

Normally IE8 behaves as expected with a version vector 8.000, i.e. it skips
'lte IE 7', reads 'IE gte 8', ecc.
But it can be put in 'Compatibility Mode' where it reacts as IE 7 also to
CC. This can be done in more then one way, either by the user clicking the
'Compatibility View' icon, or by the author, with metatags or HTTP headers.
(And the above is a bit imprecise, since there are indeed more 'modes' in
which IE 8 can be put. Look at the MS IE blog if you need more precise
info).

Bruno

--
Bruno Fassino http://www.brunildo.org/test