http://appia.dramatic.co.nz/~admin7/index.php is attempting to use a
hover effect on the left-hand column where the background image
changes from monochrome to colour. I can't use a traditional "2 images
in 1" sprite because you cannot position a background image in pixels
relative to the right-hand side of a box.

SO I have the coloured image as the background to the main wrapper div
and hovering the div #colleft switches the position of colleft's
background from right to left (= out of sight). However, the hover is
also triggering on the main column, presumably because this is a child
of #colleft, even though is is positioned entirely to the right of it
(the blue border exists for debugging only). is there any way to
"cancel" the hover for .col1?

or can anyone see an alternative method. (I can't use col2 as that is
not full-height).
I considered using a "vertical sprite", but there would be some length
of page for which that would look ugly, and it would presumably siffer
from exactly the same triggering issue.

--
Richard Grevers, New Plymouth, New Zealand
Dramatic Design www.dramatic.co.nz