I've encountered something that I haven't been able to resolve concerning
Safari/Chrome rendering. It originated in a post on MS's EW2 forum. Here's
the original:
============
After much experimentation and blind guessing, I modified some code from
CSSplay (which I will credit in my html once I get this resolved) to make
small images in a side column enlarge when hovered over. It works great in
IE7 and FF. I can live with it not working in IE6, and I haven't tried Opera
yet (just downloaded it) but I found out that Safari and Chrome don't work.
Error console doesn't show any problems, and the small pics show just fine,
but there is no zoom feature.

Look at the pics here: http://www.fcphd.org/community.html
============
I checked it out in FF3.0.6, IE7, and Opera 9.something, and the zoom works
fine in all three. However, it does not work at all in either of the
Webkit-based browsers. I looked at the markup and the CSS and can't see
anything wrong, and Firescope's reference shows the :hover pseudo-class as
fully supported in all versions of Safari.

Has anyone encountered anything similar in Webkit-based browsers? I read
something somewhere that they do have a problem with negative z-indexes, but
that's moot in this case. This isn't really my problem, but it's got my
curiosity aroused, and this guy's gone to a lot of trouble as a novice to
try to troubleshoot it on his own, so I'd kinda like to see if I can locate
a solution for him, if possible. Thanks.

cheers,
scott