At 09:30 AM 2/18/2009 -0500, David Laakso wrote:
>What's so difficult about keeping it simple and honoring user default?
>body {font: 100%/1.4 sans-serif;}
>#primary-content p {/*inherits default*/ }
>#secondary-content p {font-size:95%;}
>#tertiary-content p {font-size:90%;}
>h1,h2,h3,h4,h5,h6 {/*set in whatever percent value rocks your boat*/}

Sure! Why not?! But then what's the point in studying typography, and
art, and aesthetics, and what's the point of trying to do anything
with CSS and trying to get things to look good?

The point that I was making -- what my question (and frustration) is
-- is that as Felix pointed out, things can go screwy if/when one is
using more "vague" specifications like 90% of some user's system
default of 12pt (or whatever) in comparison to another platform
and/or browser. If I specify all my various font sizes in pixels then
everything will *proportionally* all be exactly how I want them to
look, but if I use percentages then that's simply not the case --
that page that Felix created...

http://fm.no-ip.com/auth/Font/font-rounding.html

...shows that issue perfectly.

And hey, maybe these "slight" differences don't matter to you or
others, but they matter to me. Perhaps I'm just being too picky,
though, I don't know -- maybe I've hung around with type (font)
designers too long, where it matters if that teeny-tiny serif that
one can only see under a microscope is a billionth of a millimeter
off. And as a graphic designer/digital artist, too, when I create a
piece of artwork it can matter a great deal to me if a single pixel
(out of thousands or millions) looks "wrong". In that same regard,
when I create a web site (for myself, at least) my desire is not just
to create a repository to dump text/information, but to create a work
of art, where viewing the text on the page (even if it was pure
gibberish, or written in Arabic or Russian characters or something)
is also visually pleasing to the eye. If I wanted to specify, say, my
list items to be 85.4% of my base font size, then if they end up
being 80% instead (because of the issues that Felix points out),
well, to me it just wouldn't look right.

Hence my frustration...

Ron :/