designer wrote:
> A properly marked up table with 1-row of 3-cells (in this case) is valid
> (and accessible) and is the only robust solution I know of for all browsers.
> The extremists will complain about table layout of course, but it's a case
> of being pragmatic in making the thing work - simply, and without any
> problems that I know of.

I imagine there are layouts out there for which tables are the only
answer, though I've yet to encounter any. I discovered that tables are
pretty inflexible and not as accessible as one would like to believe.

>> There must be a more elegant method, surely.

Here's a solution which uses no tables and which more or less emulates
what you're looking for, I think. It'd require a tweak here or there to
match your styles, but it should do what you need.

http://webdevelopedia.com/cssd/iyes.html

Whether or not it's 'more elegant' is another matter entirely.

Hope it helps.
--Bill

--
<!--