Joe Polk wrote:

> Thanks in advance for your consideration and help regarding this
> issue. I helped my client purchase and implement a web site
> template for their new business. Unfortunately, there is a problem
> with part of the CSS which "pushes" out the content area of the
> site past the width that it is supposed to go.
>
> The web site is under development at http://www159.pair.com/ngllc/
>
> As you will see, there is extra white space that pushes out the
> content of every page. I've taken a look at the CSS and noticed
> that if I remove the "background:#fff;" from this -- .content{
> width:700px;background:#fff;} -- the proper width is maintained but
> i have a completely black background for the content area. This
> "pushing" happens regardless of any color that I use.

No, the proper width is not maintained if you take off the background
colour. It is just not visible that it sticks out then.
Also, this problem doesn't happen in Firefox, but only in IE.

> Does anyone know how I can modify the stylesheet so that I can have
> the white background in the content area, but have it not push out?

I don't have time to take a copy to test locally, but my guess is that
if you take out the first line at the top of the document, the <?xml
line, thins might just fall back into place for IE. Anything that
comes before the doctype, throws IE into quirksmode, where it
calculates margins and widths entirely different than in standards
mode.

Another thing I found: the <td> that holds the content, has a width
set of 640px. Yet, inside it, is another table with 3 <td>s, with a
width of 241px each.
That just cannot officially fit :-)

--
Els