Josiah Sprague wrote:
> The system which we are forced to use generates pages that declare
> the doctype in quirksmode.

> The problem is that quirksmode in IE breaks my CSS.

> Any ideas on how to work around in this situation?

> http://www.uakron.edu/groups/asg/asgtemplate_copy.php

When stuck in quirks mode: style for quirks mode.

- for IE that means styling for IE5.5, with that version's limitations
and bugs when it comes to CSS support.

- non-IE browsers have full CSS support regardless of mode, so it's just
a matter of tweaking them for the mode and avoiding disturbances from IE
styles.

You'll make it a lot easier for yourself if you avoid absolute
positioning as much as possible - especially for large containers.
The absolute positioned #container_box  with 'overflow: auto' you've got
now doesn't work well in any browser. The bottom nav scrolls on top of
main content on narrow windows.

IE in quirks mode becomes very unstable when it has to calculate in the
extra scrollbar since #container_box is taken out of the flow, as can be
seen in this slightly restyled copy of your page...
<http://www.gunlaug.no/tos/alien/js/test_09_0409.html>

regards
        Georg
--