Chris Hanks wrote:

> Alright, I took care of the markup problems, so everything validates.
>  It's been put up in its updated form:
>
> http://www.selfsoothingsoftware.com

Good. Makes it much easier to work with.

> I was trying to keep the main text column at a consistent width, and
> deal with an expanding/shrinking window size by moving the
> supplemental boxes in and out of the main column. Is there a way to
> do that?

Yes. See below.

> I'm also not sure how you meant I should move the right and left
> boxes into the padding on either side.

I meant: with negative margins on those floats.

> I tried setting their positions to "relative" and then displacing
> them with "left:" and "right:", but that just leaves big holes where
>  they used to be.

Relative positioning doesn't move elements, only offset them visually.
This means they still take up space in their original position, which
creates those gaps you observed.

To give you some ideas about how you can mix your various wishes
together in a mostly cross-browser reliable way, check the following
slightly reworked copy of your page...

<http://www.gunlaug.no/tos/alien/ch/test_09_0506.html>
...and its stylesheet...
<http://www.gunlaug.no/tos/alien/ch/test_09_0506_files/style000.css>

It can be made to work much better than that, but the 'em'-sizing you're
using creates problems. To make it work properly you'll have to restyle
the layout so the 'em'-sizing is set on body or a page-wrapper, and
containers further in get sized in percentages of that outer element.

regards
        Georg
--
http://www.gunlaug.no