I am trying to use horizontal rules of specific width and position in an
xhtml strict 1.0 web page.  The width and align attributes work, but do not
pass the strict 1.0 validation test (as you probably know).

I have tried using both class and id statements in a CSS file (with
appropriate selectors in the body).  Neither work.  I have performed
extensive searches on the internet (including the archives of this list),
but I have found no information on how to accomplish the desired task.

Is it not possible to set these hr parameters under strict 1.0 (and have
them pass the validation test)?  If not, is there an alternative?

I need to say that I have only a beginner's knowledge of CSS.

Thank you for your help.