At 12:29 PM +0200 6/20/09, bruce.som...@web.de wrote:
>David Laakso wrote
>
>>  There is hope from Sweden.
>  > <http://www.456bereastreet.com/lab/transparent-custom-corners-borders-v2/>
>
>In my mail system, clicking on that link copies it to the URL-field
>with the trailing gt-sign, and thus leads to
>      Oops!  Something went wrong. You may have followed a broken
>link or mistyped something. ...
>
>Oddly enough, it doesn't copy the leading lt-sign.
>
>What is the purpose of the lt- and gt-signs?

It's either listed or implied in an older RFC
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2396.txt to identify a URL, so that even
if it is realllly long and wraps multiple times in your email client,
the client can still determine that this is all one URL.

It is also recommended by the W3C:

W3C recommendation: wrappers for URIs in plain text
Submitted by Phil Mocek (not verified) on Thu, 2006-08-17 23:28.

quoted from http://www.w3.org/Addressing/URL/5.1_Wrappers.html:

URIs, including URLs, will ideally be transmitted though protocols
which accept them and data formats which define a context for them.
However, in practice nowadays there are many occasions when URLs are
included in plain ASCII non-marked-up text such as electronic mail
and usenet news messages.

In this case, it is convenient to have a separate wrapper syntax to
define delimiters which will enable the human or automated reader to
recognize that the URI is a URI.

The recommendation is that the angle brackets (less than and greater
than signs) of the ASCII set be used for this purpose.

These wrappers do not form part of the URL, are not mandatory, and
should not be used in contexts (such as SGML parameters, HTTP
requests, etc) in which delimiters are already specified.

Not all clients support it, but I find it great mysef.

-Ed

--
Edward F Spodick, Information Technology Manager
Hong Kong University of Science & Technology Library