Chris Blake wrote:

> A long time ago I found an easy way to clear floats.

> [...]

> I hope it's a good method because I remember being really pleased
> because it's a lot easier than other methods that I'd found.

In your case a change from "clear: both" to "clear: left" will work.
However, having extra clearing-elements in the markup is only good for
odd cases, not as a general solution.

> http://pendulum8.com/karst.test/staff.php

For cases like that it's better to "contain floats" than to clear them.
Also, there's no need to add extra container divs just to keep images
and paragraphs together. Paragraph hold related images just fine, so why
not put those images in there, contain them, and delete the unnecessary
divs?.

Example:
<http://www.gunlaug.no/tos/alien/cb/test_09_0707.html>
<http://www.gunlaug.no/tos/alien/cb/test_09_0707_files/style200.css>