> Even if points are not precise unit in CSS because of browser
> and OS problems most users can set their DPI in their
> preferences if it is not automatically determined from screen
> size (unless they are running a particularly abhorrent
> browser + OS combination).

This brings up a very good point that should not be overlooked. While you
can labor over POINTS, PIXELs, etc., and do the same with COLOR. When you do
that you are NOT designing for your users. You are designing for your own
nicely calibrated system.

Users, except for some professionals (photographers, designers, video
editors, etc.), do not calibrate their systems. They will do loose
adjustments to their monitor. They may also set their system to "large
fonts" (Windows, not sure what the equivalent is on Mac).

I know this because I've been there.

Coming from a print and print design background it was perfectly natural to
me to adjust the DPI of my monitor with a ruler held up to the screen so
that when I viewed a document at 100% on screen it measured exactly. I also
did numerous color adjustments using commercial color targets.

Guess what?

People told me....

"Type is too large"
"Text is too small"
"That color is too red"
"That color is black" (when it was actually dark brown)

So now I have one monitor that *is* color adjusted with a print and a video
profile, and an uncalibrated monitor that just has minor contrast/brightness
adjustments. I let my OS use default DPI, occassionally switching to the
preset "large fonts" on Windows for testing purposes.

While this thread has been very informative, it seems like it has long lost
it's relevance to CSS. Are all of the moderators on vacation?

Rob Emenecker @ Hairy Dog Digital
www.hairydogdigital.com

Please note: Return e-mail messages are only accepted from discussion groups
that this e-mail address subscribes to. All other messages are automatically
deleted.