Someone here gave me a fix for this - slightly inelegant, but it
works, and validates:

html {
height: 100.1%
}

This forces a scroll bar on every page. No more moving or jogging. On
the pages that don't need a scroll bar, the scroll bar indicator is
the height of the page. There's no "space" below to indicate you
should scroll.