> bill scheider wrote:
>> I've just taken over as the website manager for a recently-launched
>> site at <http://portland.shambhala.org/> .  The main menu is a css
>> dropdown and it's working as it should in FF, Opera, Chrome and
>> Safari. In IE6 and 7 (and maybe 8; I haven't checked), the main menu
>> is present but the menu doesn't drop down.
>
> Thanks for the quick response. Switching the doctype to xhtml 1.0
> transitional did the trick with the menu. Thanks for the help.
>
> Of course, it introduced 390 validation errors into that page, mostly
> syntax. So the fix is a mixed blessing. Did I mention that I just
> took this
> site over? And as a volunteer :-)

You don't need to switch to an XHTML doctype.
You could use HTML 401 transitional (like you originally had) but with
a full doctype.

<http://hsivonen.iki.fi/doctype/>

Philippe

Thanks for the link, Phillippe. When I changes the doctype back to
transitional but used the full doctype as declared in the article, the
dropdown still didn't work in IE6 or 7. Switching to the full loose doctype
allowed dropdown to function as expected in IE7 but not 6. During this round
of testing, I noticed, too, that the dropdown wasn't working in IE6 with the
xhtml transitional doctype either, so it appears that IE6 at least won't
render that menu correctly in Standards mode (unless there's something else
here that's throwing the page into Quirks mode).

I like the idea of using an html 4.0 doctype, if possible, since then I
don't have to change the syntax of the pages for xhmtl.

I wonder if you might take another look or have another idea?

TIA
Bill