On Nov 17, 2009, at 3:55 PM, Philippe Wittenbergh wrote:

> On Nov 17, 2009, at 3:14 AM, Angela French wrote:
>
>> I have some foreign language text on my page (Cambodian) which I
>> have rendered in html.  Opera, IE, and FF all render the text in
>> different sizes.  I have tried em, pt, px, %.  I can do a
>> conditional style sheet to target IE, but I don't have a way to
>> target Opera.  Can anyone tell me what the issue is with Opera and
>> how I might solve this?  Thank you.
>
> Hard to say, without a URL :-).
>
> Does your font-stack include a font that contains glyphs for Cambodian
> (Khmer, I suppose) ? If the answer is no, there may be the first and
> most important issue. Each browsers may look up for a different font
> on the OS.

Some kind soul pointed me to the URL (thanks ~dl).

<http://checkoutacollege.com/LanguageTracks/Cambodian/Cambodian.aspx>

from the stylesheet:
#inner-intro-container p.languages-intro-Cambodian {
color:#DD6000;
font-size:1.5em;
line-height:25px; /* <-- this causes serious problems in Opera */
margin:0;
padding:10px 0 0 10px;
}
content.css (line 268)

and
#inner-intro-container p {
background-color:#EAD791;
clear:both;
font-family:Georgia,Times; /* <-- no Khmer font specified...*/
width:70%;
}

On OS X, with the KhmerOS font installed I don't see any font-size
difference between various browsers (Safari, Gecko 1.9.0 ~ 1.9.6b),
Opera 10. There are quite  a bit of difference in line-spacing though.
The line-height: 25px; causes serious issues in Opera. Safari and
Gecko don't agree either (I'm not sure who's correct). The font-size
62.5% set on <body>isn't helpful either.

Philippe
---
Philippe Wittenbergh
http://l-c-n.com/