On Jan 25, 2010, at 6:28 AM, Ingo Chao wrote:

> 2010/1/24 Tim Climis <tcli...@indiana.edu>:
>> ... If you have a shadow on an element with
>> 100% width (an unfloated div, say), and give it a box-shadow, in firefox
>> (with
>> -moz-box-shadow) you get horizontal scroll, while in Safari/Chrome (with -
>> webkit-box-shadow) you do not.
>>
>> Has anyone discovered a way to make Mozilla act like Webkit? ...

Safari 4 will show a scrollbar, just as Gecko (and Opera 10.5) do. WebKit
changed the behaviour (suppressing the scrollbar) quite recently, following
this (longish) discussion on www-style:

<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2009Aug/thread.html#msg6>

I suspect Gecko will follow (and suppress the scrollbar) at one point.

Note that the box-shadow property is subject to lots of discussions and
re-evaluations on the www-style mailing list. It has been removed from the css3
border and background module (see 6.2 The ‘box-shadow’ property).

http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-background/

> yes, don't use -vendor-prefixes.
>
> :)

I was quite shocked to discover that Opera 10.5 has implemented the box-shadow
property with vendor-prefix, especially in the light of all discussions in the
past year on the subject, as mentioned above.

---
And no, I don't now of any sane way of suppressing that scrollbar in Gecko (and
Opera 10.5) in your case.

Philippe
---
Philippe Wittenbergh