Hi Folks,

Thanks to Thierry and Georg, this now makes sense. Thanks for the help.

Doug

+++

Hi Doug,

> I'm definitely a newbie, trying to wean myself off tables.
> What I need is a 720px wide box with three 240px cells inside it, with
10px padding-right for each cell.
> It cannot be "flexible" or stretchable.
> I found what I **thought** might be the recipe for such a design:
> http://www.electrictoolbox.com/basic-3-column-fixed-width-css-layout/
> However, I cannot get the middle cell to display 240px wide:
> http://people.ucsc.edu/~class1/
> Any suggestions/ideas MUCH appreciated, so I can leave tables behind!

If you set a 240px width and 10px padding, the box is actually 250px wide
(because padding/border/width add up).

So try 230px instead, and then Google: "CSS Box Model"

--
Regards,
Thierry | www.tjkdesign.com

Subtract the side-padding from the float-width - both side-floats.

width: 230px + padding-right: 10px equals float-width = 240px.

That will leave 240px between the floats.

regards
     Georg

++++

Hi Folks,

I'm definitely a newbie, trying to wean myself off tables.

What I need is a 720px wide box with three 240px cells inside it, with 10px
padding-right for each cell.

It cannot be "flexible" or stretchable.

I found what I **thought** might be the recipe for such a design:

http://www.electrictoolbox.com/basic-3-column-fixed-width-css-layout/

However, I cannot get the middle cell to display 240px wide:

http://people.ucsc.edu/~class1/

Any suggestions/ideas MUCH appreciated, so I can leave tables behind!

Thanks!

Cheers, Doug