At 3/3/2010 11:23 AM, Thierry Koblentz wrote:
> > > fwiw, I don't think this is tabular data.
> > > I'd go with a Definition List.
> >
> > Initially that's what it looked like to me. But then he turned it
> > sideways,
> > and made it look like a group of THs and TDs.
>
>imho, the way the OP presented the data has nothing to do with the markup
>that should be used.
>This is a CSS list, we should know better ;-)

List, table, it makes no difference in  my opinion. Relevant points might be:

- How do you style DT-DD pairs side by side? I guess you could use
negative margin-tops to bring each DT up to the original y-level, but
that feels hackish and could easily break with text-only zoom in a
fixed-width container.

- I don't think tables are "simpler" markup than divs or lists. To
the contrary, they minimally use the same amount of markup

         table   div
         tr      div
         td      p

or they use much more if one properly includes thead & tbody.

- The "simplest" markup is not always the best, and I would ask the
original poster to consider the "best" or "most semantically
appropriate" ways to mark up the content, not the "simplest."

- The most practical way to present them side by side is to enclose
each head/datum pair in a wrapper or use a table. This eliminates
definition lists and leaves us with UL and TABLE.

Regards,

Paul