Hello,

I'm new to the list, so please bear with me:)

I'm trying to style a set of XML source files (served directly off a Subversion
repository) using only CSS. The XML is a quite simple dictionary structure, and
to make the presentation of the content more dictionary-like, I have added some
generated content, like comma+space in front of the non-first sibling, to
separate two independent translations, or semicolon+space to separate groups of
related translations.

The problem is that in this case there is an extra space - not a space
character, but some sort of space - in front of the generated content. This can
be seen in the first entry on this page:

https://victorio.uit.no/langtech/trunk/words/dicts/nobfkv/src/adv_nobfkv.xml

If you look at the translation of the first head word ("akkurat"), there is
some (unwanted) space in front of the ';' separating the two translations. I
have tried to find the source of that space, but I have not succeeded.

I have checked all possible properties using WebInspector in Safari as well as
Firebug in Firefox, but I can find nothing. All margins, paddings, etc are zero
as far as I can see, and there is no space character inserted as part of the
content: rule (the space is added *after* the ';').

The extra space is only seen when the generated content is inserted between
siblings of the same type. When inserting in other structural relations, there
is no problem. In some cases the space seems to belong to the first element
(ie, as some sort of padding in front of the generated content belonging to the
following element), in other cases it seems to be some sort of right-padding of
the generated content, or sit unspecified between two elements.

The only thing I can think of is some sort of magic with generated content, but
I have not been able to find anything Googling the Net.

I have tested this on the Mac, using Safari 4 and Firefox 3.5.1. Both behave
the same.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,
Sjur Moshagen