On 3/13/10 8:05 AM, Alan Chandler wrote:

>> I have encountered a problem with IE6 which I don't quite
>> understand. The positioning of the 2nd and 3rd columns depends on
>> which page I am on, and therefore, it appears from the content of
>> the page.

>> The relevant site is
>> http://www.hartley-web.com/templates/caro/index.php
>>

> I seem to have found the solution - although I have no idea why it
> works.
>
> I have added "display:inline" for IE6 in the floated column divs.
> This seems to fix the problem.

Yes. That's a fix for the bug that causes IE 6 to double float-side
margins - right margins on right float; left margins on left floats.
I don't think anyone knows why it works, except that it is IE. :-\

"display: inline;" is nonsense of course, and real browsers simply
ignore it. Some people recommend adding that to every float, even if it
is not a problem today, as you might add a margin later. YMMV.

I also see that you are attempting "full height columns". Be aware that
there are potential problems with that method, in both new and older
browsers. You may like to check out the "companion columns" method[1].
In particular, look at the first example[2]. This not only has full
height columns, but employs a newer "holy grail" technique that uses
relative positioning on the floats, thus avoiding several browser bugs,
including the doubled margins.

>> PS.  On a side note, the logo for the site is in an absolutely
>> positioned div, and I can't get the pngfix software to work with
>> this logo.  It does on some of the other templates on this site
>> where the logo is not in an absolutely positioned div so I am
>> assuming that is the issue.
>

> This is still an issue.

Scripts usually use the AlphaImageLoader filter[3] to apply PNG
transparency. For this to work, the element needs "layout." An
absolutely positioned element does have "layout"[4], so it should work.
FWIW I apply the MS filter directly to my CSS, as I have yet to find a
script that works reliably. Using the filter means using a background
image instead of inline, but it does allow you to position and/or
repeat the background, and works when scripts are blocked or disabled.

[1] http://www.satzansatz.de/cssd/companions.html
[2] http://www.satzansatz.de/cssd/companions/percpercpercfsa.html
[3] http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms532969(VS.85).aspx
[4] http://www.satzansatz.de/cssd/onhavinglayout.html#prop