TriState Advantage, Kris Jacobson wrote:
> Message: 18
> TriState Advantage, Kris Jacobson wrote:
>
>> I have been trying to improve my CSS. Several times I have downloaded
>> layouts from layout Gala to jumpstart my web pages but then I have to take
>> time to go through the layout and identify the div's and change them
>> accordingly.
>> So this time I tried to create my own CSS stylesheet. I am trying to get a
>> centered page. I have a div around the page with 800px size and auto margins
>> but it isn't centered.
>> I did validate the css and html just to double check and they came up clean.
>> I also went back to my layout gala templates and compared CSS but that
>> didn't tell me anything either. So I have to be missing some attribute.
>> Can you tell me what I am missing in centering this page?
>> This page is just in the beginnings so I don't have a lot of content yet.
>> http://www.tristateadvantage.com/woolynpurses/index.html
>>
>> http://www.tristateadvantage.com/woolynpurses/woolynstyles.css
>>
>> Thank you for any help you give me. This list has been a great help in
>> trying to comprehend CSS and I still have long way to go.
>> Kris J
>>

> In what browser is the page not centering? FF 3.6.3 seems to render it
> properly, including changing the size of the browser window.
>
> Bill B
>
> I am using IE8. I also checked IE6 with the same result.
> I did not check Firefox as the layout gala templet I am trying to emulate
> worked in IE8. Is there a fix for IE that I am missing?
> Kris J

This is a roundabout, and may not get you where you want to go.

Are you perchance using Firefox? If so, there is a marvelous add-on, Web
Developer 1.1.8, that has a very nice CSS feature. When you are viewing
a web page, you can view style information for a particular element by
clicking on it. The corresponding CSS code is displayed at the bottom.

Using this with the template that does work may lead you to the code
that will make your edited template likewise work.

Bill B