You really should check out the CSS-based (a little bit of JavaScript)
slideshows (and menus, among other things) at Project VII. See if there's
anything there that would meet your needs. I have their menu builder, and the
code validates. The customer service there is also awesome. I've gotten
get it.

http://www.projectseven.com/index.htm

Theresa