On Jul 3, 2010, at 10:57 PM, Rick Pasotto wrote:

> I just ran google's speed test on one of my pages and it reports many
> "inefficient" rules. They are all of the form:
>
> div#footer p
>
> Is google telling me that the 'div' part is not necessary and that it
> slows processing?

yes, that is about it. You'd only ever need the 'div' part to increase
specificity.

In this case, the parser has to look for (all occurrences of) #footer and of
'div' and then matching them.
If you make it '#footer p', the only lookup is for #footer.

Note, we're talking about milliseconds here, on simple pages you won't see /
feel any difference. On large, complex pages (think Gmail), it could be a wee
bit more significant.

Plus, those 3 characters add page-weight to your stylesheet. Think of the trees.

Philippe
---
Philippe Wittenbergh
http://l-c-n.com/