On Thu, Sep 9, 2010 at 5:18 AM, tedd <tedd.sperl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>   You can set default font for the entire page in the BODY:
>>
>> body
>> {
>>  font-size: 100%; /* don't use anything else for the default */
>>  font-weight: normal;
>>  font-family: helvetica, arial, sans-serif;
>> }
>
> You can also use em's, such as:
>
> body
> {
>  font-size: 1em;
>  font-weight: normal;
>  font-family: helvetica, arial, sans-serif;
> }
>
> and then base everything else upon that, such as:
>
> h1
> {
>  font-size: 1.3em;
> }
>
> .copyright p
> {
>  font-size: 0.8em;
> }
>
> and so on.

I have developed a practice of using 100% in the body and then using
em elsewhere to set sizes.
Such as:

body {
    font-size: 100%; /* base my size on user default */
    font-weight: normal;
    font-family: helvetica, arial, sans-serif;
  }
h1 {
   font-size: 1.3em;
 }

I have vague memories of doing this because the percentage handled a
glitch in one browser or another. Can't recall the details now. Is
this a case of age invented memories, or was there such a
consideration at one time that made the % in body a good idea even if
one had a personal preference for em in the rest of the style sheet?

Claude