Hi Alan,

> >> poor old IE 7 and older?
> >
> > I think there'd have to be a third element in there to set as
> display: table-row.
> >
> > ---Tim
>

> Not quite true. If display: table-row is not given then, an anonymous
> table-row is generated [1].
>

>    | If the parent P of a 'table-cell' box T is not a 'table-row',
>    | a box corresponding to a 'table-row' will be generated between P
>    | and T. This box will span all consecutive 'table-cell' sibling
>    | boxes of T.

I'd agree with Tim, it is better to have an element to create an explicit
row as the implicit row is not enough to prevent some browsers from dropping
the last item (cell).
I ran into this issue before. If you check the archives you should find a
few posts where I discuss this with Ingo (or was it Philippe?).

--
Regards,
Thierry