From: "John" <j...@coffeeonmars.com>
Will I be ok provided I assign the shadow-casting object to the top Z layer? Or, are there more tricks to know, or booby traps waiting for me?

I assume you are talking about the box-shadow property. If so, the shadow is "glued", z-index and all, to the element you assign it to.

Are there some browsers which (A)don't handle it well and (B) show  something
heinous instead?

Nothing hideous. Browsers that do not support it simply show the element as if the property were not assigned. To support Firefox and Webkit you need to us proprietary versions of the property. So 3 duplicate rules, all with the same values are needed:

box-shadow
-moz-box-shadow
-webkit-box-shadow

You might also want to visit the W3.org web site and read the box-shadow spec.

--
Al Sparber - PVII
http://www.projectseven.com