Thank you, Theirry. I put a surrounding div around the 2 divs that weren't
behaving, and stopped the absolute positioning of the one div. Put overflow:
hidden on the surrounding div and my life is hugely improved.

Sorry for those excessive clear:both things, I had thrown a bunch of them in
there for the purpose of just seeing what was happening, and they didn't fix
anything but I forgot to remove them.

I so appreciate your help in this, it is a great thing for me to be able to ask
for help and get such expert advice.

Best,
Rory