At 17:45 -0400 on 10/31/2010, David Laakso wrote about Re: [css-d] Hack or conditional comments for small screen a:

On 10/31/10 5:04 PM, Nancy wrote:
Is there a hack or conditional comment that would allow me to change the left positioning of the fixed menu when it is viewed on a cell phone browser?

Thank you,
Nancy

You may want to consider using CSS3 "Media Queries." t/
/<http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-mediaqueries/#media0>
Bruce Lawson-- mobile friendly
<http://dev.opera.com/articles/view/the-mobile-web-optimization-guide/>
Smashing Magazine
<http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2010/07/19/how-to-use-css3-media-queries-to-create-a-mobile-version-of-your-website/>
Stuff and Nonsense: CSS3 Media Queries
<http://stuffandnonsense.co.uk/blog/about/hardboiled_css3_media_queries>

Best,
~d

Which is predicated on the expectation/hope that the cell phone's browser supports this level of CSS. A way to get the same result is via Server Side Scripting to send a tailored set of CSS. Note that I am NOT advocating this method but only pointing it out.